Low Carb Recipe: Zuchinni Casserole


 

t’s that time of year!  Zuchinni is reproducing rapidly in my garden!  This cheesy zuchinni casserole is an old family favorite and it also happens to be low carb.  In the old days we added bread crumbs to the top, but it is just as good without.

This recipe is so good that even my vegetable hating teenagers love it and come back for seconds.  They ask me to make it.  You can’t beat that, especially when it’s a zuchinni recipe!

What you will need:

Zuchinni Casserole

  • Large zuchinni (1.5 – 2lbs)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ¼ c onion
  • 3 or 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 c mozzarella, shredded
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 c sour cream
  • 1 c chopped basil or parsley (or combo of both!)
  • ½ c parmesan cheese
Grate zuchinni with a cheese grater or the grater attachment of a food processor. (While I am grating this, I put what I have grated so far in a strainer over a bowl so that some of the liquid drains out. 

Then I try to squeeze as much liquid out through the strainer as I can)
Beat eggs, mozzarella and sour cream in a bowl and set aside.

In a large non stick pan, heat olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic.  When they are browned, add the grated zuchinni and sauté for a few minutes.

Place the zuchinni/onion mixture into an 8 x 8 pan.  Take the cheese/egg mixture and dump it into the pan and stir it into the zuchinni mixture until well combined.

Layer the top with the parsley and basil.  Sometimes I leave that as a layer and sometimes I mix it in.
Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with a green salad for an amazing delicious low carb meal!
Makes 6 servings: Calories 163, Carbs 6g, Fat 12g, Protein 11g,Fibre 1g

2 comments:

  1. This looks like it will be yummy! I think my hubby and I can go "low carb" when it tastes good! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete